How in the hell is Cali already 2 months old? It’s crazy how fast time is flying and amazing how perfectly our sweet girl fits into our family.
We’ve been here many times before, but every moment with a newborn feels like the first time. And as usual we have some items that we simply COULD NOT live without.
1. Caresat/Carseat over: Obviously you will need a carseat. We always go with the Chicco brand because of it’s safety ratings, but there are so many to choose from. You’ll also want to consider what fits in your car after you find the safest seat. Not everyone will want a cover, but we use ours daily. AZ is sunny everyday and the sun is BRIGHT. For the carseat cover we are loving the Black and White Stripe Nursing Cover by The Baby Abode. That’s right, nursing cover! It can be used to cover your carseat AND your boobs lol. I have used for both and the material is amazingly lightweight and soft. It also doesn’t stretch out all weird so you can resuse over and over.
2. Lille Baby Carrier: This is the first time I’ve ever used the Lille Baby and seriously? I am SO obsessed with it. I wear it every single day and Cali immediately passes out. The position for baby is super comfy and she is snuggled so cozy and secure. We live in AZ so that means extreme heat. We bought the Airflow carrier because it is made of lots of mesh and lots of breathable material. If you live somewhere with all the seasons, I would choose the All Seasons model. It can work in any weather and is just as amazing. I promise you will love this.
3. Blankets: We basically use a thousand blankets a day. In general our family always has “cozies” draped over us so it’s no different for Cali. I LOVE my June and January basic blankets for a more lightweight blanket and then use tons of different brands for the more fluffy fleecy types. The blankets also double as awesome picture backdrops. I find one that coordinates with her outfit and voila, instagram ready : ) Please remember to follow safety rules and never leave your babe with a blanket alone. When they are toddlers they will be fine, but little babies have do not have the ability to move a blanket that is covering their face etc.
4. Pacifiers: This may or may not be a need for you. We bring pacifiers to the hopsital and love them. They have never affected their latch and they have been fine nursing/taking a bottle. For me pacifiers are much easier to take away than a thumb. But do what’s right for your family. We use the MAM brand and love their glow in the dark option because they are super easy to find in the middle of the night!
5. Pump/Nursing Supplies/Formula/Bottles: No matter how you decide to feed your baby, you will need to feed them! I need to pump to help keep up my milk supply and I prefer the Medela Freestyle. It is an electronic double pump so I can get both sides done quickly. They are quite expensive, but some insurance companies will cover some if not all of the cost! Just call your insurance company and find out what you need to do to get yours. For bottles we always use Tommee Tippee because the shape works well for when they can hold them on their own. I suggest just getting the larger 9 oz size because then you can use longer. The tiny ones are super cute, but won’t last as long. As for formula, this will be completely up to you. When we start using it we like Enfamil, but I would definitely research/talk to your pediatrician about what works best for your babe. You may even need to try different ones depending on your sweet babies tummy : )
6. Lazy Boy/Glider: oh yes! You are going to want, no NEED one of these. In the beginning all you want to do is cuddle and love on your baby. A comfy rocking type chair is so nice to have for your comfort and also helps while you nurse. Depending how comfy it is you may want to put a pillow behind your back while nursing. We use lazy boys and you seriously sink into its plush seat. It’s so comfy when I’m just rocking the kids, but for nursing I need a straight upright position so I always put a firmer pillow behind me.
7. Diaper Bag: Ask me with any of the other kids and I would have said diaper bags weren’t necessary and a big purse would work just the same. THEN I bought a JujuBe. I use the backpack BRB and it’s everything. The storage and ease is unbeatable and I haven’t went a single day without using it over and over. It’s large enough to fit all of Cali’s stuff, my mommy items (wallet, phone etc) and even a few things for my older kids, but they are all potty trained. If they weren’t I would probably choose a larger style. You can either order from their website, buy at a baby store or look on Amazon for some great deals. I also am super matchy matchy so I have bought quite a few of the smaller bags to use inside my bag. Watch out because you may get obsessed and want to buy everything they make : )
8. Baby Clothes/Accessories: If you know me at all or have seen any pictures on instagram/facebook you already know where I’m going with this : ) JUNE & JANUARY! It may seem like this is a silly item to list, but dressing your little and getting them ready for the day is so special. Their little belly and legs are so sweet, and finding cute items to dress them in is not only fun, but also a need. We all wear clothes! I didn’t find J&J until this pregnancy and went a bit crazy preparing for Cali’s arrival. She has WAY too many clothes, but I honestly could have went with just a few items. All the colors are bright and match perfectly so you can mix and match for endless combos. Tank jumpers, booties and bibs are definitely my favorite items and also gender neutral so they work for everyone.
I should add headbands are a NEED in our house. They are cute, fun and make me happy. You can find them everywhere on etsy and instagram : )
9. Baby Pajamas: I would include these in clothes, but I feel like they are their own category. Nothing and I mean NOTHING is sweeter than a baby fresh out of the bath dressed in cozies aka pajamas. Yes we call blankets and pajamas “cozies” in our house lol. Somehow it works. ANYWAYS the pajamas I will always swear by are Carters. It’s really annoying because they usually only have their fleece ones for sale in the fall and winter so stock up when you can. The cotton one are great too, but fleece is just always better. Some tips, size up . Their clothes in general run crazy small and shrink more than any brand so buy 0/3 for your newborn just in case.
10. Bathtub/Bodywash: Bathtime will be one of your kiddos part of everyday and yours too! As newborns it can be hit or miss if they enjoy the bath, but generally most kids love it. We like to use a little mini tub that we can just place in our bathtub, but look around and you’ll find so many options. For bodywash we are loving Tubby Todd! They are natural products that smell amazing and work great.
11. Boppy Pillow: People either love or hate the boppy, we love it! For now we use it as a pillow to lay Cali both on her back and her tummy. Eventually we’ll sit it around her butt as she learns to sit up. Many people use it as a nursing pillow as well, but I never do. You can also get super cute custom covers on etsy to match your nursery decor because who doesn’t love cute stuff?
12. Swaddle: Our kids have all LOVED swaddling. Cali on the other hand is hit or miss. She likes it, but doesn’t always need it. Most nights she just falls asleep, but if there is a fussy night we put her in a Love to Dream Swaddle UP gown. It’s so cute and allows babies to keep their hands up rather than tight against their sides. Cali loves her hands near her face so this is perfect for her. They have a variety of sizes and also different styles to help them gradually lose the swaddle. SO glad I found this brand this time around because we have used everything out there.
13. Diapers and wipes: Duh. Your baby will poop and pee all day everyday and you will be changing them often. We use disposable diapers, but definitely look into cloth diapers if that is something you want to do. We have used the Huggies Little Snugglers for all the kids and they work amazing. No rashes, no leaks and they also have the little line in front to let you know the diaper is wet. For wipes we also use Huggies and aren’t super picky, but normally use the Natural Care line. I attempted using both the Honest Company and Parasol Co brands this time around and didn’t like them. (That being said, you may end up trying multiple brands before you find the right one)
Whew, that was alot! Of course there are more items you may use, but these are the things we use on a daily basis. Let me know if there is anything you think I missed or anything you use on the daily with your babe!