1. YOGA PANTS AND LOOSE FITTING TANK: Personally I LOVE having a tight pair of yoga capris right after giving birth. Your tummy feels so loose and hangy that you will want something sucking you in. Not to mention the HUGE pads you will need help holding up. I received stitches with both of my previous children and I was bleeding a lot. The hospital gives you the biggest pad you have EVER seen in your life. You will love it! When you go home you can send the hubby out to find something similar, or if your smart you will stock up before hand. As for the loose fitting tank, I actually prefer a tight one AND a loose one. Victoria Secret has great tanks that flow out and help cover that post-partum pooch.
2. CAMERA: This is an obvious one! You will definitely want your camera to capture all those first moments with your baby. I am lucky because I always have my mom in the room and she is able to take pics. If it’s just your husband it might be tricky, since he’ll be doing a bunch of random jobs. We also took a MILLION pictures after labor so I suggest bringing your charger as well. You’ll be surprised at the hundreds of shots you’ll take : )
3. FLIP FLOPS: I LOVED having flip flops for the hospital. I tend to get more swollen after labor and it’s nice to have space to breathe. They are also fast and easy to put on. I wore socks DURING labor, but never after.
4. PHONE: I don’t know about you, but I live on my phone! I can text, read on my kindle, Facebook and go online. This helped me pass the time as I waited to push and then my husband and mom used it to update everyone on what was happening. Again, I would definitely bring your charger : )
5. GUM: GUM!! You are not allowed to eat or drink anything during labor (besides ice) so I had to have something to chew on. If you don’t like gum, bring mints or suckers! You also are breathing in and out the whole time so you may want something to freshen your breath : )
6. WALLET: You will want your wallet with you at the hospital for a few reasons. You always want your ID and insurance card just in case hospital registration needs it. You also might want money so that the hubby can eat while waiting for baby to arrive. Personally I take my wallet everywhere JUST IN CASE.
7. CHAPSTICK: Holy chapped lips! You will be so surprised at how insanely chapped your lips become during labor. I don’t know if it’s because you’re breathing heavily? Super hungry and licking your lips? Or some weird pregnancy hormone, BUT they are chapped. TRUST ME! Chapstick will be your friend.
8. TOOTHBRUSH AND TOOTHPASTE: This is another obvious one! You will be staying at the hospital at least one night so you will need to brush your teeth. They have weird toothpaste for you, but I am pretty particular, so I like to bring my own.
9. PILLOW: This might not be a must have for everyone, but it should be. The hospital pillows suck and you want to be comfy as you push out a huge baby! I would suggest bringing an extra pillowcase because you never know where all the labor liquids (ugh) end up. It is also nice to have comfy pillows when you are first breastfeeding. You will probably have your boppy (I mention this in my must have for babies list!), but sometimes you need a pillow to support your aching arm. You seriously don’t realize how heavy a teeny baby is until your breastfeed multiple hours a day. Then again I have HUGE kids and weak arms haha.
10. FACE WASH AND MOISTURIZER: I hate having my face feel dirty and yours will be VERY dirty. You are going to be using all your strength during labor and sweating a ton.
11. HAIRBRUSH AND HAIR TIES: My hair gets super tangly while I’m pushing, so a brush is a must. I also need the hair bands during and after labor to put my hair up. Personally I do not need to wash my hair while I’m at the hospital, but if you’re someone who does, bring your own shampoo and conditioner.
12. BELLY BANDIT: There are million different types of tummy holders, but this is what I have used with my kids. It is basically a spandex strip that you velcro to hold your tummy up and in. I am not going to sit and say it’s a miracle maker, but I do know that it definitely makes my tummy feel more secure. Some people wear them under clothes and love it, but I think it looks bulky no matter what. I could care less how bulky I look and wear daily for the first few weeks. They have some super cute designs and/or plain : )
13. MAKEUP: Some people don’t bring their makeup, but I definitely do. I stick to the basics, light foundation or tinted moisturizer, bronzer, blush and mascara. We take a million pictures and I want to look somewhat presentable.
Woohoo, so that is MY personal list and I have used it with both my kids, soon to be three! I would have everything ready to go a few weeks before your due date just in case you go into labor early. Comment below if you think I’m missing something important from my list : )
Check out my Hospital Must Haves: FOR BABY post to see what I bring for baby : )